[BULK] Re: [plt-scheme] instructions for installing plt language from planet

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Sun May 3 10:13:58 EDT 2009

On May 3, 2009, at 9:13 AM, Jay McCarthy wrote:

> We will use a DrScheme package designed for PLAI in many assignments.
>
> To install it: Open DrScheme in the Module language. Run the
> following program:
>
>   #lang planet plai/plai
>   "Hello PLAI!"
>
> This automatically installs the language for the text. Please re-start
> DrScheme. The language will be visible from the Language|Choose
> Language... menu in DrScheme or via the language chooser at the
> bottom-left. Choose the PLAI Scheme language.

Hmm... I'll have to see whether something like this works to install
my teachpacks.  At present, I tell students (and Computing Center staff)

1. Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet.
2. Start DrScheme.
3. From the “Language” menu, “Choose Language”, then select “Module”.
4. Click “Run”.
5. At the “>” prompt in the bottom half of the screen, type
(require (planet "install.ss" ("sbloch" "tiles.plt" 1 12)))
exactly like that, with the parentheses and quotation marks and all.
After
a few seconds (or possibly a few minutes, if the server is slow), you
should see the message
“Wrote file “tiles.ss” to installed-teachpacks directory.”
6. Likewise, type
(require (planet "install.ss" ("sbloch" "sb-world.plt" 1 4)))
You should get the message “Wrote file “sb-world.ss” to installed-
teachpacks directory.”
7. From the “Language” menu, “Choose Language”, then click on the trian-
gle next to “How to Design Programs”, then select “Beginning Student”.
8. From the "Language" menu, "Add Teachpack...".  You should see
"tiles.ss"
and "sb-world.ss" on the right hand side.  Double-click one of them.
Repeat with the other one.
9. Click "Run".  You should see a message like
Welcome to DrScheme, version 4.1.3 [3m].
Language: Beginning Student custom; memory limit: 128 megabytes.
Teachpacks: tiles.ss and sb-world.ss.

Of course, I'm using "require" in an unusual way, as a remote
installer: the "install.ss" file, at load time, writes another file
into the installed-teachpacks directory, which in turn requires from
planet the module I'm actually interested in.  There must be a better
way....

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.