[BULK] [plt-scheme] Multiple loops

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 31 14:26:38 EDT 2009

On Mar 31, 2009, at 1:29 PM, aditya shukla wrote:

> My question here is are there loops in scheme or recursion is used
> in all the cases and is there is a design rule for multiple loops?

Excellent question.  Yes, Scheme has several powerful looping
constructs; look up "iterations" in the Help Desk.  Recursion is more
"typical" of the Scheme-programming idiom, but a professional Scheme
programmer would know the looping constructs as well.  And you can
frequently avoid doing either one by using one or more of the
"abstraction" functions like map, foldl, foldr, filter, apply, etc.
Programmers coming from other languages to Scheme often use a loop
(sometimes even an integer-indexed loop) where it's really not
necessary; read the solutions Matthias just posted, and even if those
aren't exactly the problem you needed to solve, they should give you
some good ideas for how a Scheme programmer would solve the problem.

The design rule for multiple loops is similar to the design rules
you've seen already: the shape of the data determines the shape of
the code.  If you're given a data object which is a collection of
objects, you'll probably want to "do something to each element of the
collection", and a loop is a natural way to do this.  If you're given
several such objects, you'll probably want several such loops.

Of course, that gets you through the clean, elegant problems; things
get messier in the real world, but a lot of the ideas are the same.

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.