[plt-scheme] 3-D graphics

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 26 09:28:48 EDT 2009

I attended a talk yesterday on using 3-D animation to teach
mathematical concepts.  The presenter was using either (a C/C++
library named DarkGDK) or SecondLife, but I imagine a lot of the same
things could be done with Alice.  And if we perceive Alice as a
serious competitor for "how to teach beginning programming," it would
be nice if we could beat (or at least meet) her on her own turf --
fun, highly-motivating, attractive 3-D animation accessible to first-
semester students.

So there's this OpenGL binding bundled with PLT Scheme.  Who out
there has played with it?  I'd like to write (or, even better, get
somebody else to write!) a beginner-friendly, functional front end
for it that allows first-semester students to build 3-D animations,
with not much more difficulty than the 2-D animations we do with
world, sb-world, or universe.  Is anybody working on this sort of thing?

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.