[plt-scheme] Google toolbar button

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Mar 19 23:59:02 EDT 2009

On Mar 19, Henk Boom wrote:
> 2009/3/19 Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org>:
> > On Mar 19, Robby Findler wrote:
> >> When I tried it, I got an entire additional bar with lots of
> >> other stuff, so I just turned it back off again. (It started to
> >> look like IE!)
> >
> > Ah, you're probably installing the toolbar, which comes with a
> > search box.  FWIW, it's easy to configure it to replace the FF
> > search box; on my laptop, here's how it looks:
> > http://tmp.barzilay.org/x.png
>
> That sounds very useful, but I don't even use the search box; my
> laptop displaying at 1024x768 makes me try to conserve as much
> screen space as possible:

Yeah, I had something very similar for a while, on a previous laptop.
I still managed to shove the google searchbox into the line -- I just
gave up on a number of useless buttons.  BTW, there's also F11 which
is great for low resolution screens.

[I've been a big fan of the google toolbar for a really long time.
The features that make it a killer app that I can think of (beyond
just having the convenient search box that now all browsers have):

* The "up" button (on my linux browser I get that with M-up, but not
  on windows)

* The search box with the button that colors the words is great --
  besides searching, you can just enter a few words and you get
  immediate multi-word highlights.  Extremely useful when you dig
  through manuals for a specific bit of information.

* The new killer feature is keeping the configuration in the google
  acount -- but that's becuase I use a bad OS for browsing...
]