[plt-scheme] Re: DrScheme TXT requests

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 17 01:09:16 EDT 2009

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:36:58 -0500, Grant Rettke
<grettke at acm.org> wrote:

>2009/3/16 Benjamin L.Russell <DekuDekuplex at yahoo.com>:
>> That sounds like a lot of work for reduced functionality.
>
>Is that your vote for removing text mode?

I don't see any need to remove existing functionality, but neither do
I see the need specifically to disable certain features in certain
modes; for example, to disable "coding features not appropriate for
the mode like run and check-syntax."  Once you start disabling certain
features in certain modes, you will want to carry that trend to
perfection, and that will most likely mean a lot of work for something
that doesn't increase functionality.

The trend would also increase the development overhead for any new
modes added, since certain features from other modes would need to be
specifically disabled in the new modes, and certain features from the
new modes would probably need to be specifically disabled in existing
modes.

Furthermore, the more modes added, the greater overhead this would
become.

Time spent for this project would decrease time available for other
projects.  Given that available time is scarce, I just think that the
time could be used more efficiently for other projects, such as
increasing the list of book-specific sub-languages available, or
figuring out the reason that the file explorer intermittent hanging
bug seems to occur only on certain Windows XP Professional, Service
Pack 2, computers, but not on others (I still haven't figured out how
to debug this one, or who/where to turn to in order to have it
debugged).

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^