[plt-scheme] music theory (was Natural numbers)

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Thu Mar 12 08:10:02 EDT 2009

Good Story. We are off topic I am afraid, but nevertheless the following:
I am not sure that bach used the nowadays equally tempered scale for Das
Whol Temperierte Klavier (I have been told differently once by a music
teacher) But, as you point out, it certainly was not the mean-tone tuning.
Mark though that a good singer, player of string or wind instruments (other
than organ),orchestra, chorus or ensemble do not use the equally tempered
scale all the time. In particular the terts of a final chord in major should
be taken somewhat higher than in equally tempered scale in order to obtain
good harmony.
Jos