[plt-scheme] Re: How difficult would creating a collaborative multi-user online virtual world application be in PLT Scheme?

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 15 08:10:30 EDT 2009

Thank you.

Those slides are quite interesting....  In particular, there seem to
be quite a few similarities in issues between functional and
object-oriented programming.

In particular, the following quote by Alan Kay on the elimination of
assignment being one motivation for OOP is of particular note:

>Though OOP came from many
>motivations, two were central.
>... [T]he small scale one was to
>find a more flexible version
>of assignment, and then to
>try to eliminate it altogether.
>
>Alan Kay,
>History of Smalltalk (1993)

The quotes on favoring immutability by Joshua Bloch, and on using
value objects whenever possible by Kent Beck, also seem to be similar
to topics that come up in functional programming.

-- Benjamin L. Russell