[plt-scheme] How difficult would creating a collaborative multi-user online virtual world application be in PLT Scheme?

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 11 05:59:17 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Benjamin
L.Russell<DekuDekuplex at yahoo.com> wrote:
> One question that has been coming up at the back of my mind for the
> past several weeks has been how difficult would it be to create a
> collaborative multi-user online virtual world application in a
> semi-functional programming language, such as PLT Scheme.
> Does anybody know whether duplicating this project in PLT Scheme would
> be feasible?

The big problem would, I expect, be serialising data from one machine
to another. Not every value in PLT Scheme can be serialised.
Functions, I think, are the prime example.

However, I don't see the world crying out for that kind of
collaboration. Doing something as simple as distributed collaborative
editing would be 80% as useful. Integrating with Google Wave
(http://www.waveprotocol.org/) might be timely.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.