[plt-scheme] firefox locking up 15 seconds for each plt documentation search

From: Dave Herman (dherman at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 7 12:11:50 EDT 2009

> I'm happy to hear any other ideas people might have.

I don't know how the search algorithm works, but if the algorithm is
fairly simple and unchanging, and it's just the index that changes
frequently, it seems to me a middle ground solution to the problems
with having two different search implementations would be:

- build one index
- from this index, auto-generate the data in two separate formats, one
Scheme-friendly, one JS-friendly
- implement the search algorithm separately in both Scheme and JS

This is not as over-engineered as, say, compiling the Scheme search
algorithm to JS, but it should mean the two implementations aren't as
likely to diverge in behavior since they're both using the same index.

Dave

Posted on the users mailing list.