[plt-scheme] Is packages installation portable?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Jul 29 12:17:15 EDT 2009

On Jul 29, Robby Findler wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Eli Barzilay<eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> >
> > It should also be generally fine if you don't install any planet
> > packages that compile C files or include system information in
> > macro-expanded code etc.
> >
> > The thing is that the Scheme bytecode files (*.zo) are portable,
> > but if you have some macro that expands in some platform specific
> > way, then the bytecode file will contain the results of that
> > expansion.
>
> Also, I think that Bloch's planet packages do some fancy stuff that
> is neither of those things, but that does require per-machine
> .plt-level installation.

Is his package involved?  If so then (IIRC) it sets up stuff in your
local collection tree, which means that the archive that you move to
the other machine should include the whole user-local directory, not
just the planet subdir.

BTW, to easily find where the directory is located on any platform,
evaluate this:

  (find-system-path 'addon-dir)