[plt-scheme] Is packages installation portable?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Jul 29 12:08:28 EDT 2009

On Jul 29, Robby Findler wrote:
> Not in general.
>
> If you're setting up multiple machines in a cluster that are all the
> same, you could install one and clone them onto the others, perhaps.
> But the .plt file is the way we've designed it to work.
>
> Perhaps if we knew more about your setup and why you'd want to do
> this?

It should also be generally fine if you don't install any planet
packages that compile C files or include system information in
macro-expanded code etc.

The thing is that the Scheme bytecode files (*.zo) are portable, but
if you have some macro that expands in some platform specific way,
then the bytecode file will contain the results of that expansion.