[plt-scheme] debugging [mini rant]

From: Elena Garrulo (egarrulo at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 29 10:00:33 EDT 2009

2009/7/29 Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Mike Eggleston<mikeegg1 at mac.com> wrote:

>>> This point is bogus.  I personally had one occasion where I had spent
>>> about 14 hours chasing a problem that we discovered in a release mode
>>> build of our product.  It was there for about a week before that (and
>>> it was the segfaulting kind of a problem), yet we didn't know about it
>>> because it didn't happen in debug mode.
>>
>> Not bogus for me. I perform this type of debugging often on production
>> systems. I like to know I have made no changes to a system I'm trying
>> to find the error in, that I've not introduced another issue by changing
>> the code to add printf()s (stdout or file).
>
> No to belabor the obvious here, but debuggers change the behavior of
> your program (perhaps even more than printfs, depending on what you're
> doing).

Sometimes they do it to help you diagnose problems early. For
instance, Visual C++ debugger  fills memory with special bytes  both
on allocation and on release to help you spot invalid memory accesses.

IMO, debuggers are not perfect, but a hell of help when dealing with
legacy code.

Posted on the users mailing list.