[plt-scheme] debugging [mini rant]

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Jul 29 08:27:16 EDT 2009

On Jul 29, Mike Eggleston wrote:

> Yes, much, and preferable in a production environment when you're
> trying to figure out why something is not right. Any change you make
> to the code must be tested again, so if you can run the code through
> a debugger without changes is best. If you make a change to add
> printf()s then you can't say for certain if your printf() caused the
> error or if you've found the reported error.

This point is bogus.  I personally had one occasion where I had spent
about 14 hours chasing a problem that we discovered in a release mode
build of our product.  It was there for about a week before that (and
it was the segfaulting kind of a problem), yet we didn't know about it
because it didn't happen in debug mode.