[plt-scheme] Why isn't the car of a list of symbols a symbol?

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Thu Jul 9 16:07:20 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Carl Eastlund<carl.eastlund at gmail.com> wrote:
> You only need one apostrophe, and the result is equivalent to:
>
> (define foo (list 'yes 'no))
>
> I hope this helps.

When you introduce quote to students, who do you go about doing so?

I first read about quote in TSPL. As I recall, it follows the approach
of visualizing the read-evaluate-print loop, and explains that quote
roughly means that whatever follows it is the external representation
of the thing that want, so whatever did follow will not get sent to
the evaluator. Perhaps this is not the best summary, but whatever the
case the explanation (in part with the whole chapter) made it easier
to understand. That was my experience it at least.

Posted on the users mailing list.