[plt-scheme] Has PLT performance improved?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Jul 2 12:10:29 EDT 2009

On Jul  2, Philippos Apolinarius wrote:

> I noticed also that PLT is not so good at array intensive
> computations. In one of those Lisp benchmarks designed to show that
> Lisp can be as fast as C, PLT (7.9s, without f64vector) is twice as
> much time as Bigloo (4.3s, without f64vector). Does PLT team intends
> to improve array processing?

An `f64vector' stores the FP numbers in a C vector, which means that
every access will create a Scheme floating point number -- so
accessing the same places over and over means that you keep generating
garbage for the GC.  Using a plain Scheme `vector' is likely to work
better, and provide more chances for the compiler to better optimize
the code.