[plt-scheme] ajax and plt

From: Dave Gurnell (d.j.gurnell at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 2 04:19:47 EDT 2009

Hi YC,

There are two current, well documented ways of generating Javascript
source using Scheme code:

	http://planet.plt-scheme.org/package-source/dherman/javascript.plt/9/2/planet-docs/javascript/index.html
	http://planet.plt-scheme.org/package-source/untyped/mirrors.plt/2/2/planet-docs/mirrors/index.html

To my knowledge, neither of these libraries compile actual Scheme into
Javascript, but they both have a parenthetic syntax for writing
Javascript code. So, for example, in Mirrors you can do stuff like this:

     (js (alert ,(string-append "Hello " "world"))

I use Mirrors with jQuery quite a lot;

     (js (!dot ($ "#mybutton")
               (click (function () (alert "Hi")))))

As a user of PLT in a commercial environment, I'd be more than happy
to talk ideas/code/etc.

Last note... AJAX and web frameworks... we *do* have a working
framework, but it's basically undocumented. I'd welcome feedback/
comment/collaboration if you want to take a look (let me know if you
have versioning problems when you compile it):

     $ svn co http://svn.untyped.com/smoke/trunk/src <somewhere>
     $ cd <somewhere>
     $ mzc run-tests.ss && mzscheme run-tests.ss
     Open http://localhost:8765 in your browser.

Cheers,

-- Dave