[plt-scheme] small, static, mzscheme executable?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Jan 20 21:54:10 EST 2009

On Jan 20, Mike Eggleston wrote:

> Wonderful explanation, thank you. I like the idea of cfengine(8),
> but there are some requirements for that specific application that
> I'm not wild about and don't really fit to my environment. If I can
> put something together, and add code to the windows port for fudging
> with registery, etc., then mzscheme I think will work well for my
> needed application.

It's already in: search the manual for `registry' -- but that's part
of MrEd.  In MzScheme it will probably be easy to come up with some
foreign code, or just invoke an external process.  (IIRC, it's
extremely easy to just create the registry bit and apply it with some
command line.)

> Part of the problem is how much time I can steal from my regular
> duties to put this together. I may use planet for some of the
> tcp/http/regex stuff, but that's all I can think of off the top.

As Robby said, tcp and regexp functionality is already built in; and
there is an http library too.  (Which might improve in the near
future, but it's fine to do most things now.)

> Since the installation is simply a directory (off C:\, off /, etc)
> then an under the covers installation is much easier than expected
> and I'm grateful for that.

(By the way, the common way to distribute executables is as
"installers", which are basically a packaged directory holding
everything needed -- the executable, the shared libraries, the scheme
files, etc.)

> Ideally I want to combine configuration and reporting. Sort of
> blending cfengine(8) and hobbit/xymon together. Pulling stuff from
> cvs, updating systems, sounds like great fun.

Yes, I enjoyed it...