[plt-scheme] HtDP lectures?

From: Eduardo Bellani (ebellani at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 16:39:17 EST 2009

> Okay, so what part of Todd's and Matthias's responses didn't make
> sense?  It feels like you quoted a message as if to respond to it, but
> instead ended up completely ignoring it.

Hmm, I don't think I've completely understood your message mate, but I'll take
it as a request for me to pay attention to Todd's reply. I think I got
his point that the
professors don't feel secure that they could replicate what they do in
class in a different
media (video).
I was just pointing out my opinion that I, and some other people that I
recommended you guys work to, would find it very valuable not just to
the PLT community,
but perhaps a lot more who are interested in CS but lack, for
different reasons, the capacity
to go to a college or university.

> Also, the SICP videos were (I believe) originally made for a corporate
> sponsor, HP.  Any of you willing to sponsor?

Yup, it was HP. I don't particularly know how to solve this question,
perhaps a solution
could be to find a sponsor in the same form as Abelson and Sussman
did, but frankly I'm
way out of my league here. But hey, if someone sets a found I'll
gladly donate to it.

> Finally, we live in a much more IP-restricted and privacy-conscious
> era.  It would be interesting, but not necessarily in a positive way,
> to hear how Brown feels about having one of their professors (IP) and
> classes (privacy) videotaped and then broadcast for free (IP) over the
> Internet (privacy).

Hmmm, as someone else pointed out, MIT, Boston and others are doing the same,
but that is a matter for the university alone. I know that both
Sussman and Albeson were very
conscious about the value of sharing information, as demonstrated here:

   "Sussman and Abelson also have been an important part of the Free Software
   Movement, including serving on the Board of Directors of the Free Software
   Foundation, and releasing MIT/GNU Scheme as free software even before
   the Free Software Foundation existed."[1]

So they probably pushed for the free (as in speech) format. Again,
that is a matter for you guys
and your department.
Like someone else pointed out, the price of the task for both the
hardware and the software involved
in the task has dropped, and I would say exponentially since then, so
the cost would be way cheaper.
Perhaps the university could be convinced that the publicity generated
would worth the effort, hech,
from my point of view it would be worth the effort.
Anyway, it was just a +1 to the idea ;)

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Jay_Sussman