[plt-scheme] Scheme projects in my undergrad CS course

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 12 14:47:03 EST 2009

> Shriram: since you suggest then yes, I'd be interested in reading about
> those anonymous code walks.

A bit stream-of-consciousness:

There's a set of terms out there -- inspection, review, etc. -- that I
don't really know.  Whatever the terms, you can't do the one that has
the programmers respond in a class period.  It can be traumatic for
them if you get critical; it's useless if you don't; and there may be
some privacy issues as well.  So the way I run them is do them in
camera with nobody but course staff (in addition to the students)
present.  I warn them it will be hell, and I deliver on the promise.

Since it can get exhausting (40 students = 20 teams = 10 hours of
codewalks, sometimes done in just one day), I let my TAs take over for
me after some time (eg, I do the first 10, then let them run one while
I eat lunch, etc).  Either way, I'm always in the room, and I assign
the grade, not the TAs.

But, there is an alternative, which is doing this in-class.  Though I
don't do it (because I can do the more personalized form), one of my
colleagues does in his class.  The idea is to remove any and all
identifying traces, then print the code on transparencies (or these
days use PPT or PDF -- but make sure it's easily readable!), and talk
through it in class.  Better still, of course, have the students
critique it: get them started, then let them push through, then resume
critiquing when they run out of things to say.

This is a great way to lay down your law.  Do it early in the semester
-- even for a very rudimentary assignment -- so students understand
what you think good programs are, starting all the way from elementary
style (indentation, etc).  This is even more important at a school
where a particular language's culture isn't already in the air.

Make sure you do 2-3 different projects, not just one.  It keeps that
one group from feeling singled out.  It also gives you room to do one
really good one, so students get positive examples in addition to
negative ones.  Plus, nobody can get too cocky -- thinking their
project won't be "singled out" -- until the end, so reminding them of
this keeps their classroom behavior a bit better controlled, too.  Mix
up the order so they can't just guess you're going from worst to best,
so they have to stay on their toes.  Etc.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.