[plt-scheme] Slightly OT--How to print from DrScheme using CUPS

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 10 10:49:29 EST 2009

The short version:
-------------------------

Is there anyplace to set the default print and preview commands
server-wide that get used in the File->Print Definitions... and
File->Print Interactions dialogs or does each student need to set them
individually?

The long version (only read if you're bored):

Actually, once you mentioned using kprinter, I looked for gpr. Such a
thing does exist, but doesn't interface with CUPS, so when I tried to
use it, I had a problem because /etc/printcap wasn't set up.

But then I notice gtklp, which does exactly what I want, but the
interface is a mess.

And then it occurred to me, why not just set "evince" as the preview
application and have students preview, then print from it. Thus, the
question above.

(I think I'm a pretty good teacher and programmer, even, but a
sysadmin I am not. Ask me sometime about the hour I wasted trying to
mount an NFS directory remotely. I even bothered a former student,
because I couldn't figure out what was wrong. He tunneled into the
server, only to tell me that I'd forgotten to install the nfs-common
and portmap packages. :-\ )

Thanks a LOT,
Todd

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Henk Boom <lunarc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/9 Todd O'Bryan <toddobryan at gmail.com>:
>> I'm an idiot. The problem is *not* that DrScheme doesn't print to the
>> default printer, it's that I don't get a standard cups options dialog
>> to do things like choose 2-up printing to save paper.
>>
>> Thanks for answering my stupid question, Matthew. Now, any idea how to
>> answer the one I should have asked in the first place? :-)
>
> Sounds like what you really want to do is replace lpr with some
> standalone printing dialog, such as kprinter.
>
>    Henk

Posted on the users mailing list.