[plt-scheme] Jane Street is hiring functional programmers

From: Yaron Minsky (yminsky at janestcapital.com)
Date: Fri Jan 9 13:06:39 EST 2009

Greetings all.  I just wanted to remind people that Jane Street is
still hiring.  Despite the problems besetting much of the financial
industry, we have grown strongly in the last few years in our people,
our technology, the scope of our business and its profitability.  We
now have over 30 OCaml developers, and we are actively looking to hire
more in Tokyo, London and New York.

For someone who cares about functional programming, Jane Street is an
interesting place to consider.  Jane Street has invested deeply in
OCaml, to the point where we now have the largest team of OCaml
programmers in any industrial setting, and probably the world's
largest OCaml codebase--almost a million lines.  We really believe
in functional programming, and use OCaml for everything from research
to systems adminstration to trading systems.

The atmosphere is informal and intellectual, with a focus on learning.
The work itself is deeply challenging, and you get to see the
practical impact of your efforts in quick and dramatic terms.  Jane
Street is also a small enough place that people have the freedom to
get involved in many different areas of the business.

Unlike many financial firms, software and technology are considered a
core part of what we do, not some segmented-off cost center that the
people who run the business don't think about.  Jane Street is a place
where people really care about the quality of the software, to the
point that several of the most senior members of the firm, who do not
have technology backgrounds, nonetheless review critical
portions of the codebase before they can go into production.

If you'd like to learn more, here are some links.  First, here's a
paper I wrote for the Monad Reader:

   http://www.haskell.org/sitewiki/images/0/03/TMR-Issue7.pdf

We also have a technically-oriented blog:

  http://ocaml.janestreet.com

For a (recruiting-oriented) overview of Jane Street, here's the firm
website:

  http://janestreet.com

If you're interested, send me a resume and cover letter.