[plt-scheme] drscheme

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 23:16:40 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Larry Richards <lrichards at mctns.net> wrote:
> Yes first of all I am an industry guy. I have only just started teaching
> Machine Shop this year at our local high school I have worked as a machinist
> for over 25 years.
> Our vocational director would like for me to teach Programming and Logic
> next year, Our state wants the class taught using drscheme as our
> environment. I have never written any type of programming before.  ? Will I
> be able to teach this without background in programming? Is there workshops?
>
> Help
> Larry Richards

Larry,

I'm a high school teacher in Louisville, Kentucky, so not too far away.

To answer your questions... No, you can't teach this class without
having programmed before. But you can probably do enough between now
and next fall that you'll be able to teach a reasonable course,
especially if you're comfortable with math. Definitely ask Stephen
Bloch for his textbook and start working through it on your own. It's
very well written and will give you an idea how to play with DrScheme
to do lots of interesting things. (It's also heavy on cool things like
images and animation, so students tend to like it.)

Ask questions, either on the list or send them to those of us who've
offered to help.

Good luck!
Todd

Posted on the users mailing list.