[plt-scheme] drscheme

From: hendrik at topoi.pooq.com (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 14:08:16 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 02:25:03PM -0600, Larry Richards wrote:
> Yes first of all I am an industry guy. I have only just started
> teaching Machine Shop this year at our local high school I have worked
> as a machinist for over 25 years.
> Our vocational director would like for me to teach Programming and
> Logic next year, Our state wants the class taught using drscheme as
> our environment. I have never written any type of programming before.
> ? Will I be able to teach this without background in programming? Is
> there workshops?
>
> Help
> Larry Richards

You will need a background in programming, unless you want to teach the
course in a completely exploratory way, with yourself as lead explorer.
Best to be lead explorer before the course starts, though.

You'll find a lot of people here swear by HtDP, How to Design Programs.
You might give it a go.  It's a book you can buy, and it's a book you
can download for free (as far as I remember).

Just work through the exercises, using drscheme.  It won't take long
for you to get the idea.

And, of course, you can always ask help on this list..

And of course, other recommendations are bound to appear in this thread
in the next few days.

Good luck!

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.