[plt-scheme] what's HtDP, what it is NOT

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 23 13:56:01 EST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 1:29 PM, Stephen Bloch wrote:
> In HtDP, we introduce a data type, then some patterns for how to
> test and code for that data type.  These patterns ...

Once again, HtDP is

  NOT about patterns
  NOT a form of test-driven design
  NOT a form of 'code by example'

Vehemently NOT!

HtDP is about empowering (novice) programmers

  to cope with ANY data type that may come along
  to differentiate between structural recursion and generative recursion
  to differentiate between applicative and stateful design and what
it takes to do so.

And I will say that the thoughts developed there don't help (yet)
with organizations for parsers and for lazy programs.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.