[plt-scheme] Excersise 14.2.3 - HtDP - Ordered list of binary tree nodes

From: Charlie Turner (charlie.h.turner at googlemail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 18 14:21:49 EST 2009

Hello,

I don't understand how to attack this problem. I've made several
attempts and it never works out.

A node looks like this:
(define-struct node (ssn name left right))

The Question:
Develop the function inorder. It consumes a binary tree and produces a
list of all the ssn numbers in the tree. The list contains the numbers
in the left-to-right order we have used above.

The authors go on to hint at using APPEND, regardless... I still don't
understand.

Figure 38, tree A on p201 is what I'm working with, I've defined it's
structure as:
(a pictures of it is here->
http://www.htdp.org/2003-09-26/icons/bst1.gif and my function should
list the nodes as (list 10 15 24 29 63 77 89 95 99) "left-to-right"
you see)

(define a-BT   ;Figure 38 A
  (make-node 63 'top
    (make-node 29 't
      (make-node 15 'd
        (make-node 10 'e false false)
        (make-node 24 'f false false))false)
             (make-node 89 'g
                        (make-node 77 'h false false)
                        (make-node 95 'i false
                                   (make-node 99 'j false false)))))

The useless function I have which just lists nodes at the moment is as follows:

(define (inorder bt)
  (cond
    [(false? bt) empty]
    [else (cons (node-ssn bt) (append (inorder (node-left bt))
                                                     (inorder
(node-right bt))))])

> (inorder a-BT)
(list 63 29 15 10 24 89 77 95 99)

As you'd expect, it's just a listing of all the nodes. I'm clueless as
to how I can order them left-to-right.

Any help on where to go from here would be greatly appriciated.

I thank you for your time.

(list 10 15 24 29 63 77 89 95 99)

--
Charlie Turner.