[plt-scheme] you have a tough road ahead of you ; ; ; was Re: from hell to paradise

From: Geoffrey S. Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Thu Feb 19 09:52:15 EST 2009

First of all, Grant, I really admire you for trying to get your
colleagues to work through HtDP.  OK, so your first attempt didn't
work out as you hoped.  But what first attempt ever does?  I wonder
what check-expect would do for the steps of your experiment, and what
subsequent refinements of your educational enterprise would look
like.  I believe if you keep trying this, eventually you'll hit on a
formula for success.

As I thought about your experience, I wondered what had worked for me
in the past.  Usually, getting a small group of people together who
really care about something yields the best results.  DrScheme itself
is a classic example of just such a small group of passionate
developers coming up with something amazing and extensible that draws
a devoted following.

If you're trying to motivate a group of people who don't have that
passion, but you hope they will, you kind of have to blow them away
with something they could never do in their world.  I liked Prabhakar
Ragde's example of the 5 line program to read the NYTimes RSS feed and
deliver an S-expression ready to manipulate.  Do that a few times a
few different ways, and you might win a few converts.

Reading Marco Morazan's recollection that Dijkstra considered people
who do not want to learn and who refuse to think "brain damaged," I
partly agree, but I think maybe they are only brain damaged as far as
computer science is concerned if the amount of time we have is
limited.  I'm not sure if our culture has poisoned people to avoid
mathematics, or if there really are different kinds of brains.  It
seems to me some people are attracted to mathematical concepts, and
some people lack mathematical curiosity.  I'm not talking about the
American tendency in recent decades to believe mathematical thinking
requires talent, discouraging everyone else from even trying.
Mathematics is work, sometimes very hard work.  Answers don't
magically pop into the heads of geniuses very often.  But even though
I believe most people can do math and learn to enjoy it if they only
give it a fair shot, I have run into a few people who either fight
against mathematics or try really hard but show no sign of getting
it.  In those cases, I say to myself, "Well maybe God has another plan
for them in life," while I still look for the right insight to tip the
balance in the hardest cases.

Sometimes people fight us because they don't want "receive" knowledge,
they want to come up with it on their own.  When I was a consultant 15
years ago, a wise person told me the secret was to get executives with
more ego than knowledge to see what we hoped they'd see while thinking
it was their idea.

There was the case of a doctor making a phone call who was struck by
lightning, survived, and then developed amazing musical talent.
Before that happened, perhaps music teachers would have looked at him
in despair, but afterward they were surely amazed.  We are only
beginning to understand how the brain works.

Geoff

Posted on the users mailing list.