[plt-scheme] HtDP in Python!

From: maxigas (maxigas at anargeek.net)
Date: Wed Feb 18 13:10:28 EST 2009

From: "Todd O'Bryan" <toddobryan at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] HtDP in Python!
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:58:43 -0500

> The other thing Python is missing from an HtDP-replacement standpoint
> is a hierarchy of languages that limits students' ability to shoot
> themselves in the foot. If you could create a set of language grammars
> that limits what students can do at any particular point, you can
> create programs that are reasonably idiomatic but still don't use
> confusing/dangerous constructs.

sorry, but for sure the single most annoying thing about this whole Scheme adventure is precisely
this: having to put up with 1000 different dialects, interpreters, etc.  i worked through HtDP
without using any of these because it was really irritating that my programs in one language
wouldn't work in other languages.  and after all it was not difficult at all to do the same things
in Scheme proper even as a novice.  of course, figuring out the differences was indeed very
annoying.  for example, to realise that after a certain point i cannot use (first) but has to use
(car) would have been a stupid feeling if i wouldn't have figured out (car) first. :)

maxigas

Posted on the users mailing list.