from hell to paradise ; ; ; was: [plt-scheme] Prereqs for robotic programming

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Tue Feb 17 20:02:59 EST 2009

May be the issue is that FP requires additional layers of abstraction. That
frightens lots of people. I remember well how much time I had to spend in
order to give my students a grasp of first order abstraction. My personal
view is, as Matthias Felleisen (thanks) once pointed out to me, of another
universe, namely that CS students, or even students only to be tought
programming (the borderline is not sharp I think) should first master a
substantial part of mathematics in order to grasp levels of abstractions. I
think the two can be combined, though. A good correlation and
synchronization between mathematics classes and parallel computer science
classes can be helpfull. They may even be integrated one into the other. My
point of view is that programming requires the development of the ability to
discern levels of abstraction and the discipline not to confuse these
layers.

Please don't interpret this wrongly. I do admire the succesful approach of
HtDP such as to present students with *interesting* problems while
nevertheless presenting a disciplined approach to programming.

Nowadays students require courses to be attractive. In a number of countries
making courses attractive, even to the dispence of quality, is enhanced by a
financial system that grants universities money based on the ratio between
the number of incoming students and the number of those that do graduate. I
have seen a number of examples where this strategy fails. It may easily lead
to relaxation of the demands imposed on students. But allas, this seems to
be the universe we are living in. I want another universe. A university
should be awarded for not letting pass students that do not qualify. It
should be awarded for the quality of the graduates rather than the number of
graduates. An unreal universe, I know, but it is worth to strive for an
ideal even if beforehand we know that not all of this ideal can be
substantiated.
Jos