from hell to paradise ; ; ; was: [plt-scheme] Prereqs for robotic programming

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 17 19:25:47 EST 2009

> example are very appealing to the large. Also Peter Siebel's
> "Practical Common Lisp" or the "Real World Haskell" book are what
> people want to see so they feel like they are "doing something
> valuable" with what they learn. I don't see that in the FP world.

Fair criticism to some extent. It comes back to the point Matthias
made about building roads from hell to paradise.

We will agree to disagree about whether FP is hard. I am not going to
accept that just because something is different from the mainstream,
like FP is, then it means it is hard or hard to learn. Learning is
general is hard and full of challenges especially when it is
worthwhile to learn. I guess I just have a profound cultural
difference with anyone that equates that with pain.

--

Cheers,

Marco