from hell to paradise ; ; ; was: [plt-scheme] Prereqs for robotic programming

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 17 17:01:43 EST 2009

Grant Rettke wrote:

> So say the masses.

Yeah, I teach those masses (and work beside some of them). They're
hidebound. Their idea of "make it simple" is "make it what I already
know", never mind that what I'm showing them is a tenth the size and
crystal-clear.

> Books on OO and imperative (non-OO) are numerous;
> and a lot of them are even good. Books on FP are few and far between.

I disagree. Books on OO and imperative programming are numerous, yes.
Nearly all of them are wretched. In such a volume you will find the
occasional gem, perhaps. But the hit rate is much higher with FP books.
Nearly all the good ones I've read lately have been at least
tangentially related and often deeply related to FP. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.