[plt-scheme] HtDP in Python!

From: Marek Kubica (marek at xivilization.net)
Date: Tue Feb 17 01:34:37 EST 2009

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 17:54:00 -0500
Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu> wrote:

> Python, more than just about any language, is based on the opinion of
> one person.  People who buy into Python think like Guido; those who
> don't, often don't.  Guido does not appear to be a particularly big
> fan of functional programming.

Well, he's not but that does not stop Python from having a number of
functional constructs and concepts. Since I know Scheme I use more and
more of these. It is, in my opinion a language where you can integrate
OOP and functional programming nicely (although the majority of program
will use mostly OOP features). For me, the mix has been quite useful
and I love ``itertools`` and ``functools``.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 16:30:12 -0500
Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu> wrote:

> This is the folk wisdom from places that have tried to teach Java
> functionally.

I've been exposed to such attempts. The fun thing is that our prefessor
used both Java and his own invented theoretical programming language for
teaching programming. And his syntax is kind of a Scheme disguised in a
mix of Java and Bash syntax.

Functional programming without first-class functions.. *sigh*

regards,
Marek

Posted on the users mailing list.