[plt-scheme] HtDP in Python!

From: maxigas (maxigas at anargeek.net)
Date: Mon Feb 16 18:19:39 EST 2009

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu>
Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] HtDP in Python!
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 17:54:00 -0500
> Python, more than just about any language, is based on the opinion of
> one person.  People who buy into Python think like Guido; those who
> don't, often don't.  Guido does not appear to be a particularly big
> fan of functional programming.

i don't want to bash Python, since it's my 2nd favourite, but that's very true.  if you look at
the changes between versions and the corresponding usegroup activity, you find that Python
actually had pretty good support for functional programming, which was gradually dropped, feature
after feature, and often at the Benevolent Dictator's personal dictum.  of course this is a
logical development of the "only one way of doing it" slogan, which at least i find really useful
in Python.

maxigas

Posted on the users mailing list.