[plt-scheme] HtDP in Python!

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 16 14:19:29 EST 2009

On Feb 16, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Neil Van Dyke wrote:

> Arthur Nunes-Harwit wrote at 02/16/2009 01:31 PM:
>>
>>   I'm interested in getting reactions to doing programming HtDP
>> style but in Python.  Here is an example.
>
> Speaking as a non-PLT person...  I suspect that trying to do HtDP
> with anything other than DrScheme would compromise the experience
> for the students.

Well, yes, but sometimes you have to.  My department, for example,
has made clear that CS1 for majors WILL be in Java from beginning to
end.  So I spent the first two weeks writing static methods involving
int, double, and String, then introduced a Posn class and showed how
to write methods on Posns, both statically and non-statically.  Today
I'm introducing booleans, again starting with static methods on int,
double, and String, then writing some non-static methods that return
booleans or require conditionals.

It's not ideal, but I think it's a lot better than starting with
assignment statements and System.out.println on Day 1.

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.