[plt-scheme] Newbie question: Why "orange text, black background" after Run?

From: Andrei Estioco (chadestioco at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 15 06:13:31 EST 2009

 It will come in useful once you start debugging large bits of code.

This is what I so far figured out about this feature. Consider:

(define (f x)
   (+ 1 (g (* x 2))))

(define (g x)
   (+ 3 (h x)))

(define (h x)
   (append (cons 7 x)
                (cons (i x) empty)))

(define (i x)
  'seeTheError)

say you call (f 3). You do not have to hand-evaluate to see that at (h x),
DrScheme will generate an error as it expects a list for the argument x. Now
what will happen is that the highlights will vanish up to the line (cons (i
x) empty). It shows you what function calls did and didn't happen because of
the error.

Yes I found it annoying at first, me having used one of the previous
versions of DrScheme not bearing this feature. However, as you'll come to
see, it will come in useful after sometime. And...I don't know how to turn
the feature off :P.

Hoping I helped,

--
Chad Estioco