[plt-scheme] DrScheme print preferences

From: Marc L. Smith (mlsmith at cs.vassar.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 14 16:20:30 EST 2009

DrScheme is installed on the (Debian) Linux workstations in our
computer labs. Each student logs into his/her own account.

The "Destination" preference defaults to "Preview",
the "Print Command:" text field defaults to "lpr" and
the "Preview Command:" text field defaults to "gv".

DrScheme apparently doesn't inherit the environment of the login shell
that it launches from, because printouts don't go to the default
printer set by the student login accounts.

We tried adding the "-Pprinter" option to the print command, and that
works, but DrScheme only remembers this for the current session. The
next time DrScheme is launched, the print command reverts to "lpr"
without the printer flag.

Same story for specifying a different preview command. We wanted to
change from "gv" to evince, but the change is only remembered until
quitting DrScheme. Likewise, the Destination radio button to select
"Printer" or "Preview" appears to reset to "Preview" between DrScheme
sessions.

I'm sorry if this question has been answered before, but we couldn't
find a way to save a set of print preferences that is preserved
between DrScheme sessions. Ideally, we'd like to set up default
preferences for all users, but it would also be fine if we could have
each student save their own print preferences.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

Posted on the users mailing list.