[plt-scheme] incredibly useful PLT planet source search broken?

From: Jens Axel Soegaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Wed Feb 11 08:13:52 EST 2009

Hi,

> I went looking for a planet package that would take inexact numbers and
> return their IEEE hexadecimal representation (yes, it's probably a
> three-liner in MZ internals).  A search on the planet main page didn't
> help, but I figured that your full-source-search engine would be just
> the ticket. Unfortunately
>
> 1) it's down, and
> 2) it's incredibly hard to find.
>
> Can you rectify the first of these?

Sorry, not easily.

At the moment I am swamped at work, so I haven't got
time nor energy to revive it. But maybe someone on this list
would be interested in reviving it?

The source search consisted of several parts:

   1. A full text indexer
        - which for each keyword in each file stores
          its position in a large (compressed) index

   2. Search routines
        - which queries the index, and is thusly very fast

   3. A web interface for the search

   4. A way to browse the source of PLaneT packages

The source code browsing functions became (after rewrites)
part of the current PLaneT site, so 4. is taken care of.

Parts 1. and 2. i.e. the indexer and query functions are
more or less uptodate, that is: if they don't already
work on the current release, they could easily be updated.

Some code from part 3 could be reused, but probably
needs a rewrite due the new context.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to send the code
along.

If you are interested in reading about the inner
workings of a search engine, then follow the
list of blog postings at the bottom of:

http://www.scheme.dk/blog/archive/2006_09_01_archive.html

 > Is there an alternate way of doing
> this that I'm just not aware of?

Download all PLaneT packages (scripted), and then grep?

--
Jens Axel Søgaard