[plt-scheme] Re: [plt-edu] Re: animation projects, video-game and not

From: Mark Engelberg (mark.engelberg at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 7 12:48:35 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> ... it demonstrates
> how JAVA is even MORE suited for this kind of programming than plain
> functional Scheme when you get to large programs. (Of course, in Java like
> in Cobol, everything is large.) -- Matthias

Can you elaborate for a few sentences, maybe giving an example from
one of these libraries that turned out more
elegant/cleaner/organized/etc. in Java vs. Scheme, and what aspects of
Java made it so?

I'm trying to help my son "Reach Java", but since he's spent a couple
years getting quite adept at Scheme, he's having a hard time seeing
the value of learning Java.  I'm having a hard time motivating the
study of Java, so any words of wisdom about this would be helpful.

--Mark

Posted on the users mailing list.