[plt-scheme] behaviour of void?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 4 08:44:02 EST 2009

On Feb 3, 2009, at 11:10 PM, Grant Rettke wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Matthias Felleisen
> <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> On Feb 3, 2009, at 7:01 PM, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
>>> (Not my question. I don't cover `void?', because I don't see much
>>> point to
>>> it, and I skip over Advanced Student to get to Module. Asked by
>>> people
>>> teaching the non-major course.) --PR
>>
>> Tell them not to use void?. Tell them not to cover chapters VII
>> and VIII.
>> Instead have students work on large projects and spend lectures on
>> iterative
>> refinement and re-doing projects. -- Matthias
>
> Why skip 7 and 8?

It's a trade-off. Students are better off working through two or three
"large" projects (say an interactive, distributed game):
  -- first with plain recursive programs
  -- second based on feedback for the first program
  -- third with higher-order functions
  -- fourth using modules to structure the program
This kind of iteration is highly instructive in comparison to a rushed
treatise on effects.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.