[plt-scheme] Re: OT: How to make yourself really attractive to prospective CS majors

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 18 19:10:37 EST 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:30:27 -0600, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:

>Is early decision binding? If not, I'd be curious to see if we could
>find out if fewer early accepts took the offer this year.

Actually, the Early Action and Early Decision programs are mutually
exclusive and have different degrees of bindingness.

According to "Case Western Reserve University - Application Plans &
Deadlines" [1], Case Western uses Early Action, not Early Decision:

>Early Action
>This option is for intrepid students who wish to get a head start on the college admission process. Unlike the Early Decision option that some other schools offer, Early Action is non-binding.
>  	Deadline to Apply    	November 1
>  	Notification of Acceptance to Case  	By December 15

This point can actually be quite important in applying.  When I
applied to my college, for instance, I applied (and was accepted) by
the Early Action program primarily because it was non-binding.  Had my
college used the binding Early Decision program (I specifically
researched this aspect before applying), I would not have applied
using that program in the first place.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

[1] "Case Western Reserve University - Application Plans & Deadlines."
2009. Case Western Reserve University. 19 Dec. 2009.
<http://admission.case.edu/admissions/application/plansdeadlines.asp>.