[plt-scheme] Re: plt-scheme type of language

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 13 19:39:32 EST 2009

C's type system doesn't even predict the length of something if you
allow casts. Specifically you can say that a pointer to something can
be a pointer to anything else (even of different length) and the
dereference the pointer to get something with the wrong length.

This is actually widely used feature. For example, in MzScheme's
implementation you have the type Scheme_Object which I think is
something like a char or something small, but there are lots of other
C types that are just longer versions of that thing, and you look at
the value of the char to figure out which one you actually have (and
then do a cast to get the data in a convenient form).

Robby