[plt-scheme] Re: plt-scheme type of language

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 13 16:02:30 EST 2009

On Dec 13, 2009, at 1:29 PM, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> It wsa with Algol 68 that I encountered what I learned to call a strong
> type system, to contrast with a weak type system.  A strong type system
> actually had the rigidity to implicitly prove that values would at run
> time, always be of the types they were declared with.  It baffles me
> that languages without this property have remained in the mainstream as
> long as they have.

This idea has become known as "sound" type system, because
one can explain types a proof system

  assumptions about types |- expression : type

and one can then show that this kind of proof is sound with
respect to a model -- the run-time execution in this case --
just like when you study logic.

So one can now say that C/C++ have a type system but it is
unsound. It doesn't predict what happens at run-time. (They
also have one that is sound but the normal programmer doesn't
even perceive this system.)

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.