[plt-scheme] Re: plt-scheme type of language

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 11 18:22:14 EST 2009

Moving this part of the thread back to the list, because it was only
accidentally moved off.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Raoul Duke <raould at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi Carl,
>
> it was a mistake (i hate gmail a lot sometimes, blah) but it wasn't a
> bad one :-)
>
> there are lots of things i'm forgetting or unaware of or ignoring when
> i say that more can be presented (like: unpassionate students; that i
> know more now than i did then; the ability of teachers; the amount of
> time anybody has in class vs. the highly compressed syllabus; that our
> educational system might be fubar from the get-go; etc.). and it
> depends on what we're talking about -- i mean, if dynamic scope of
> variables is basically bull-hooey then fine (but, if we're talking
> about other similar-but-not-evil dynamicness, then...)
>
> my main thought is that i think showing opposites or failed attempts
> can be great didactic tools, even and sometimes especially for
> beginners. i base this on my own experience. i am often better able to
> learn / learn more quickly when i get things from a compare/contrast
> perspective.
>
> sincerely.

Certainly, Raoul.  I agree 100% that showing failures can be a great
tool.  There is a question of the level of abstraction, though.  I
would not suggest introducing a whole new topic, the opposite of the
discuss correct and incorrect ways to design or implement a program
within a given topic.  We often do this in our beginner course -- we
let students present solutions (or parts of them) to classroom
exercises, and see through most mistakes until they hit a stumbling
block and have to analyze the issue.

Dynamic scope is a great counterpoint for an upper level undergrad (or
lower level grad) course.  For a beginner course, I think a better
counterpoint is using 0 instead of 1 as the base case for iterative
multiplication, or forgetting to give a second argument to cons.

--Carl

Posted on the users mailing list.