[plt-scheme] Re: plt-scheme type of language

From: keydana at gmx.de (keydana at gmx.de)
Date: Fri Dec 11 11:17:08 EST 2009

Glad to hear my try was not useless :-)

> what's the forest.  It is conceivable that putting the back up front,
> and then repeating it in technical detail, can have some value.

yes, this would surely make it easier. Also the three dimensions Matthias mentions

> typed (ML) and untyped languages (Perl)
> sound (Haskell) and unsound type systems (Eiffel)
> (type and memory) safe (PLT Scheme) and unsafe languages (C)
>
> and combinations that exist and those that can't exist. For example, it is impossible to have a sound type system w/o a safe run-time system.

could perhaps be illustrated? It would be very helpful having a chapter explaining, differentiating, exemplifying these dimensions I think
(in fact I'd be keen on reading that now :-; )

> What isn't right with analogies about objects?  Etc.  All these things
> have to be gleaned from being in a class taught by the faculty who use
> it, since they aren't written down.

I see... well I hope your students know and can appreciate how lucky they are :-)

Sigrid