[plt-scheme] Scheme Steering Committee Position Statement

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 24 14:31:28 EDT 2009

One of the great things about having a macro system is that you can
write extensions with different syntax.  In at least PLT, you can
even redefine the reader to parse, say, C syntax rather than Scheme s-
expressions.  So why not just put all the "large language" stuff into
optional libraries?  The "core" language would need to standardize
the basic stuff that all reasonable Schemes agree on anyway, plus
enough about modules and macros to write and invoke those libraries
in a portable way.  Presumably the most popular of these optional
libraries would come to be bundled with all the common
implementations, so they would be a de facto standardized programming
base.

We would still have to negotiate a common ground among the various
module system, and among the various macro systems, but that seems
more manageable than trying to standardize everything that any
professional programmer anywhere might want in the language.  And
conceptually simpler than having a "small" language standard and a
"big" language standard.

But I'm not a Scheme-language mucky-muck; this approach is so obvious
that the committee must have thought of it and rejected it for some
reason.

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.