[plt-scheme] Scheme Steering Committee Position Statement

From: Karl Winterling (kwinterling at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 21 15:35:33 EDT 2009

PLT is not really a ``large'' language. It's just an implementation
with a large number of libraries (like ``standard'' Perl) and
sub-languages (like the teaching languages). Libraries become part of
the language definition as a result of creeping featurism. I would
support going the ``small'' route and finding portable ways to
introduce new constructs along with keeping the base features as
simple as possible. It's probably impossible to get all
implementations to agree on a ``standard way'' to define structs, for
example.

Libraries need to live or die depending on usage. Whether a standard
is ``large'' or ``small'' depends on how it is organized. Therefore,
R7RS should focus mainly on portability concerns, but avoid doing
anything rash. A collection of suggested FFI procedures would help,
but not a complete C interface.

Oh well, I guess we're doomed anyway...