[plt-scheme] Re: More PLT Scheme as an Alternative to Matlab

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 15 11:00:57 EDT 2009

On Aug 15, 2009, at 12:23 AM, Scott wrote:

> Another frustrating thing in NumPy is the topic of zero-dimensional
> arrays (scalars) and how they integrate with the rest of the language
> and libraries.  Does subscripting an N-dimensional array by N
> subscripts give you a Scheme numeric value, or a zero dimensional
> array?

Would Scheme's 'values' philosophy help here?

;; ---

In my experience, the development of array 'cultures' in languages
is largely driven by applications and preemptive 'strikes' by language
designers. PLT Scheme is about experimentation and having more than
one language in play.

;; ---

I know that people here keep pushing Scheme's functional nature. As
much as I love to experiment with functional array languages (Fish, Sac,
etc) I think it is fair to keep in mind that Scheme fundamentally
accommodates imperative effects and that for arrays you may just have
to bite the bullet

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.