[plt-scheme] More PLT Scheme as an Alternative to Matlab

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 14 05:50:36 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Doug
Williams<m.douglas.williams at gmail.com> wrote:
> My hope would be that he we do some of this groundwork and get the semantics
> right, you could try for grants to fund the compiler speedups.

This is one hell of an interesting project. I noticed you have no
array-set!, and I think this is good. I was going to write a long
spiel about compiler technology, but if Matlab is fast enough with
copy on write I'm sure Scheme will be.

The current best example of a functional language w/ good numeric
performance is SAC http://www.sac-home.org/  Stealing their array
comprehensions (with loops) is probably a good idea. Alternatively the
work in Haskell on nested data parallelism might provide some
inspiration.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.