[plt-scheme] XML ease of use

From: Eddie Sullivan (eddieSull at hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 4 11:51:30 EDT 2009

Hello.
I've lately been having all kinds of frustrations making things work with
the XML library. The biggest hurdle seems to be keeping track of all the
types. We have "document" and "element" and "content" and "prolog" and
"entity" and "pcdata" and so on and so forth. Every function seems to accept
a different type.

I think it would be helpful if there were some kind of abstract super-type
for at least some of these things. Something similar to what the "content/c"
contract checks for would be ideal, so that all those items could be treated
the same until we wanted to differentiate them. Except I would think that
"pcdata" and the like would be subtypes of "element."

One other thing that bites me every time is that the "content" field of the
"element" structure is actually specified by the contract (listof
content/c). Either the name is wrong or the contract is.

I don't know if self-referential contracts are possible, but it would be
nice if content/c was really something like (or/c
(current-definition-of-content/c) (listof content/c)). That's only one
possible solution, though.

The reason I don't like getting this (listof content/c) is that there is not
much useful I can do with it. Since it doesn't satisfy content/c, I can't
pass it to xml->xexpr or write-xml/content. Since it's not a document, I
can't pass it to write-xml. I suppose I could do (apply string-append (map
write-xml thing)), but that seems more involved than it has to be. If I
could treat (listof content/c) the same as content/c that would go a long
way towards making things easier.

A form like "xml-match" would be very helpful, too, to avoid having to delve
into the internals of the different xml structures.

I think PLT Scheme's XML capabilities are very close to being the best thing
out there, so I hope you take these as constructive suggestions.
Thanks!
-Eddie Sullivan

Posted on the users mailing list.