[plt-scheme] dynamic-wind & kill-thread

From: YC (yinso.chen at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 21 15:44:25 EDT 2009

Oops - did not cc plt-scheme.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: YC <yinso.chen at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] dynamic-wind & kill-thread
To: Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu
> wrote:

> Well, it is the case that if you're using non-kill-safe- code (as it
> sounds like spqsql is), then you cannot kill those threads.

The threads are initiated and managed from web-server.  I don't know how it
handles interrupted connections (I generally reproduce the bug via
refreshing browser quickly), but these threads appears outside my apps
control.

You might be able to build a kill-safe wrapper for that code, however.
> That is, put all of the code that queries the database into a single
> thread and then communicate with that thread in a kill-safe manner
> (much like the way the manager thread manages the queue in our kill
> safe paper).

Yeah that's my current plan as a stop gap.  Eventually I think the kill-safe
code should belong in spgsql package itself.

Is Trac still the right place to file bugs?  I have bugs filed 5 months ago
not being touched.

Thanks,
yc