[plt-scheme] Uses for PLT: generating DOS batch files

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Fri Apr 17 13:06:39 EDT 2009

At virtually all of my clients, Windows is the standard platform for
everything; the only exception being Java shops where deployment is
often on UNIX (but everything else is still on Windows).

As such, DOS batch files are the lingua franca for task automation (I
don't mean builds here). Yes I know about the alternatives, but
despite them DOS is still the standard. People feel good about
"signing off" on batch files; they are simple and verbose.

Plain old PLT and DrScheme make it very easy to programatically
generate batch files (using standard APIs). I've been doing a lot of
it for the past few days.

Nothing exciting or attractive about it; but it sure beats handwriting
scripts any day.

Posted on the users mailing list.